US Secretary of State Antony Blinken stated that Sudan’s warring generals had agreed to a three-day ceasefire beginning Tuesday, after previous attempts to halt the conflict quickly failed. The US urges the SAF and RSF to immediately and completely uphold the ceasefire.
“The Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) have agreed to implement a nationwide ceasefire starting at midnight on April 24, to last for 72 hours,” Blinken said in a statement two hours before the truce was to take effect.
“During this period, the US encourages the SAF and RSF to right away and completely maintain the truce,” Blinken said.
Blinken said that the US was likewise working with accomplices to set up a council that would arrange an extremely durable truce in Sudan, where the contention between rival officers slid into destructive viciousness 10 days prior.
Blinken has had phone conversations with counterparts from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates and met with Kenya’s top diplomat earlier on Monday in Washington to discuss the peace efforts.